Can't access a music CD (or any other media now)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Oct 23 20:38:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 05:19:02 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> What if you use Gnome's CD playing application, or something
> like XMMS with the CD audio plugin? I think your permissions
> are okay so you could make the drive play from your (non-root)
> user account.

No, it seems that there's a severe level of "brokenness" that has been
introduced into the source tree with regards to CD devices.  I've been
exploring this issue on my own system the last couple of days, and am
no closer to arriving at a solution than when I first started.

None of the CD-related apps I have installed are working.  cdcontrol
will read an audio CD OK, it seems, but playback is useless, since,
like most newer machines, I have no direct connection between the CD
drive and the audio device.

Apps such as kscd, xmcd, etc. report no disc or no device found.  grip
(using cdparanoia) will detect an audio disc and even fetch the correct
cddb info, but ripping fails completely.  xmms reports "no appropriate
ioctl for device".

This is progress?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier