[zfs-discuss] ZFS on Dell with FreeBSD

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Thu Oct 20 09:49:16 UTC 2011

 Le 19/10/2011 à 10:52:07-0400, Krunal Desai a écrit
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> wrote:
> > When we buy a MD1200 we need a RAID PERC H800 card on the server so we have
> > two options :
> >
> >        1/ create a LV on the PERC H800 so the server see one volume and put
> >        the zpool on this unique volume and let the hardware manage the
> >        raid.
> >
> >        2/ create 12 LV on the perc H800 (so without raid) and let FreeBSD
> >        and ZFS manage the raid.
> >
> > which one is the best solution ?
> >
> > Any advise about the RAM I need on the server (actually one MD1200 so 12x2To disk)
>
> I know the PERC H200 can be flashed with IT firmware, making it in
> effect a "dumb" HBA perfect for ZFS usage. Perhaps the H800 has the
> same? (If not, can you get the machine configured with a H200?)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say «H200 flashed with IT firmware» ?

> If that's not an option, I think Option 2 will work. My first ZFS
> server ran on a PERC 5/i, and I was forced to make 8 single-drive RAID
> 0s in the PERC Option ROM, but Solaris did not seem to mind that.

OK.

I don't have choice (too complexe to explain and it's meanless here) but I
can only buy at Dell at this moment.

On the Dell website I've the choice between :

	SAS 6Gbps External Controller
	PERC H800 RAID Adapter for External JBOD, 512MB Cache, PCIe
	PERC H800 RAID Adapter for External JBOD, 512MB NV Cache, PCIe
	PERC H800 RAID Adapter for External JBOD, 1GB NV Cache, PCIe
	PERC 6/E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 256MB Cache
	PERC 6/E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 512MB Cache
	LSI2032 SCSI Internal PCIe Controller Card

I've no idea what's the first thing is. But what I understand the best
solution is the first or the last ?

Regards.

JAS

--