ZFS on Dell with FreeBSD

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 19 14:40:39 UTC 2011

On 19/10/2011 16:30, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Sorry to cross-posting. I don't knwon which mailing-list I should post this
>> message.
>>
>> I'll would like to use FreeBSD with ZFS on some Dell server with some
>> MD1200 (classique DAS).
>>
>> When we buy a MD1200 we need a RAID PERC H800 card on the server so we have
>> two options :
>>
>>        1/ create a LV on the PERC H800 so the server see one volume and put
>>        the zpool on this unique volume and let the hardware manage the
>>        raid.
>>
>>        2/ create 12 LV on the perc H800 (so without raid) and let FreeBSD
>>        and ZFS manage the raid.
>>
>> which one is the best solution ?
>
> Neither.
>
> The best solution is to find a controller which can pass the disk as
> JBOD (not encapsulated as virtual disk). Failing that, I'd go with (1)
> (though others might disagree).

Depending on the requirements and the purpose of the machine, it might
idea to combine it by having the hardware handle multiple RAID-1
devices. E.g. if you want to implement RAID-10, you might create N
RAID-1 volumes of two drives each in hardware. This is especially good
since FreeBSD's ZFS doesn't yet handle hot spares.