ZFS on Dell with FreeBSD

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Wed Oct 19 14:14:46 UTC 2011

Hi

Sorry to cross-posting. I don't knwon which mailing-list I should post this
message.

I'll would like to use FreeBSD with ZFS on some Dell server with some
MD1200 (classique DAS).

When we buy a MD1200 we need a RAID PERC H800 card on the server so we have
two options :

	1/ create a LV on the PERC H800 so the server see one volume and put
	the zpool on this unique volume and let the hardware manage the
	raid.

	2/ create 12 LV on the perc H800 (so without raid) and let FreeBSD
	and ZFS manage the raid.

which one is the best solution ?

Any advise about the RAM I need on the server (actually one MD1200 so 12x2To disk)

Regards.

JAS
--
Albert SHIH