ZFS and glabels when export/importing

Daryl Sayers darylXYZ at ci.com.au
Wed Oct 19 02:08:45 UTC 2011

Had a prblem when I needed to export a zpool and import again. The pool used
glabels for each device but after the import the pool is now using the raw
devices names.

sandbox# zpool create -f tank3 raidz1 /dev/label/012 /dev/label/066 label/040 label/064
sandbox# zpool status
  pool: tank3
 state: ONLINE
 scan: none requested
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank3          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/012  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/066  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/040  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/064  ONLINE       0     0     0

sandbox# glabel list | grep Name
1. Name: label/012
1. Name: ada0
1. Name: label/066
1. Name: ada1
1. Name: label/040
1. Name: ada2
1. Name: label/064
1. Name: ada3

sandbox# zpool export tank3
sandbox# glabel list | grep Name
1. Name: label/012
1. Name: ada0
1. Name: label/066
1. Name: ada1
1. Name: label/040
1. Name: ada2
1. Name: label/064
1. Name: ada3
sandbox# zpool import tank3
sandbox# glabel list
sandbox# zpool status
  pool: tank3
 state: ONLINE
 scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank3       ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0

The only way I could get zfs to use the glabels without destroying the pool
was to install a new drive, glabel it and then replace that with the first
drive, then do the same for each drive.

sandbox# zpool replace -f tank3 /dev/ada0 label/014
... wait for completion
sandbox# zpool replace -f tank3 /dev/ada1 label/012
... wait for completion

Note that I did not need to glabel any drive (except the newly installed
spare) so the label was still intact on each drive.

So, How do I do an export and import and still keep the glabels that the
original pool was created with.

--
Daryl Sayers
To reply please remove the XYZ from the email address.