Freebsd, Virtual OSs and GUI

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Sat Oct 15 01:19:32 UTC 2011

On Friday, October 14, 2011, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at intranet.com.mx> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Thanks for you comments and advice.
>
> Jorge Biquez
>
> At 10:55 p.m. 12/10/2011, Carl Johnson wrote:
>
> Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at intranet.com.mx>wrote:
>>
>> It is better to install KDE or GNOME as the base GUI or it is better to have
>>> any other ? (I do not know what could be).
>>>

>> This is one of those ask a hundred different people get 100 different
>> answers.  I prefer KDE which would work well for you because both KDE and
>> VirtualBox are built on QT4, a rather large system.  KDE isn't really that
>> heavy though relatively speaking.  VirtualBox runs great for me and does all
>> you indicated.
>>

>>> What do you think is the best option to save hardware resources and
>>> accomplish this task ? Something important is that this lab machine will be
>>> connected directly with the ISP (public IP's)  and I will need to connect
>>> remotely to control the server and the other OS's.
>>>

>> You will probably want a CPU and chipset that has hardware assist for
>> virtualization, and plenty of RAM for both host and guests.  Disk choice
>> should reflect your data capacity, redundancy, and speed needs.  A good
>> quality Intel NIC is always nice.
>
> If the OP is going to run a 64-bit OS, then hardware vitualization
> assist is *required* for VirtualBox to handle it.  It is not required
> when VirtualBox is running a 32-bit OS.  Just another minor detail to
> consider.
>
> --
> Carl Johnson            carlj at peak.org

Just as a sidenote, you don't need to install something as large as
kde or Gnome where flu box/openbox/blackbox or KFCE will suffice. Why
overburden yourself with extra's that could potentially ruin any
testing? Especially if all of the os's you mention will be running at
once. You could also look at qemu, it isn't the easiest to use at
times, but it can be used entirely from the cmdln. I've used it before
to run gentoo from a FreeBSD host, and it did so very nicely.