Freebsd, Virtual OSs and GUI

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at intranet.com.mx
Wed Oct 12 22:39:24 UTC 2011

Hello all.

I hope this question does not sound too stupid. I am sorry in advance
if you think so.

Since version 2.x and until now all I have been using FreeBsd as a
server, helping a small ISP company of a friend , basic web services,
email, dns etc. All I have been doing has been done in the text
interface, the pure shell. In fact, I have to confess that I have
never tried any of the GUIs available.

For some reasons not important to mention I need to have a server
that can virtualize some other OS's (Linux, Freebsd and Windows).
This will be used as a lab for some personal projects. Of course I
thought to have as the base FreeBsd Version 8.2 and have the virtual
machines running inside, was wondering if Virtualbox runs fine there.
The virtual machines need to be used with their graphical interface
(Gnome , Kde and windows). So I guess that the best and need is to
have a graphical interface also running with the base (FreeBsd 8.2).

Is that correct? If so, here are some questions:

It is better to install KDE or GNOME as the base GUI or it is better
to have any other ? (I do not know what could be).

What do you think is the best option to save hardware resources and
accomplish this task ? Something important is that this lab machine
will be connected directly with the ISP (public IP's)  and I will
need to connect remotely to control the server and the other OS's.

If I do not need necessarily a GUI running with FreeBSD, what do you
suggest to use?

I have to mention that I have done the first phase of my testing
using XP and inside of it running VirtualBox with FreeBsd and Linux
distros without problems... BUT... OF COURSE even with the firewall,
antivirus , latest patches and all the protection schema, yesterday
the antivirus start telling the machine has virus and seems it was
comprmised, of course I can not continue using it and it was not the
idea to have that, but for the 3 dyas of testing what I need to do was enough.

By the way the hardware I will use I guess it is enough since it is
for testing only and I won't be connected remotely all the time. The
machine is an "old" Pentium Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram (its maximum) and
a hard disk of 500gb, also it has an Nvdia card 256Mb (can use the
one with the motherboard if that is a problem) The motherboard is an
INtel one. It runs perectly FreeBSD using it in text mode. As a
curios information something in the motherboard maybe is not
compatible with UBuntu .

As always thanks in advance for your comments and your time.

Jorge Biquez