comms/qpage port issue

Alton Pouncey arpouncey at ualr.edu
Tue Oct 11 15:28:46 UTC 2011

I am having a serious problem with the comms/qpage port.

I was running on an 8.2-RELEASE patch level 0 system:

         #uname -a
          FreeBSD dns.uasys.edu 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0:
Fri Feb 18 02:24:46 UTC 2011

When I tried to send myself a page via qpage, I get a "Fatal error,
aborting" message to STDOUT and the following message gets put into
the /var/log/messages file:

          dns qpage[16399]: stack overflow detected; terminated
          dns kernel: pid 16399 (qpage), uid 66: exited on signal 6

I ran a truss on the qpage command (/usr/local/bin/qpage -dp arpouncey
"qpage test on 10/10/11")

and see that after a socket is created, nothing further happens, as if
it can't connect to the socket.

I applied the latest security patches to the system and am now running
at patch level 3:

          #uname -a
           FreeBSD dns.uasys.edu 8.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3
#0: Tue Sep 27 18:07:27 UTC 2011
root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

and I have removed the qpage package and reinstalled it via "make install clean"

However, when I run the same qpage command:

          #/usr/local/bin/qpage -dp arpouncey "qpage test on 10/11/11"

I still get:

          Fatal error, aborting
          >>> QUIT
          Fatal error, aborting

on STDOUT and these messages get written to the /var/log/messages file:

          dns qpage[17370]: stack overflow detected; terminated
          dns kernel: pid 17370 (qpage), uid 66: exited on signal 6

I don't know what to try from here.  Can anyone assist me?

Thank you,
Alton