can't find installed executables

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Oct 11 14:41:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:09:40AM +0200, Jim jim wrote:

Jim,

First, just a politeness thing; please break your lines at about 72
character length.   It helps in reading and responding to your
questions.   Most Email clients allow you to set a line length.

> Hallo,
> I'm kind of new to FreeBSD and installed the latest version a few days ago, it gave me the option to install some packages and I chose some of them like 'FlightGear' for example.But now I don't know how to execute this game or any other program I got installed. I can find the folder and it's like /usr/ports/games/flightgear but there is the Makefile so I think that is the installation folder and i also tried to install it but than it shows me that it is already installed.Could you tell me which one is the executable and how to run it or where I can find it?
> Hope you can help me with this.

Besides the comments that some others have made, you might want to
learn about which(1), although in the case of flightgear it might not
have helped much because the installed name is a bit hard to guess
from the name of the port.   But, most binaries pretty much follow
the name of the port.

That 'rehash' is also important.   When you first start a csh or tcsh
shell, it sets up a known picture of where things it knows about live.
If you add something, it will ot know about it until something happens
to cause it to remake its list.  The Rehash command will do that.  Run
it before running the which.

////jerry