Fwd: FreeBSD 8.2, sec.update -p3, switching between X and console prompt, /var full

n dhert ndhertbsd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:58:51 UTC 2011

I tried
# ps -jaxw | grep X
root        7609  1461  7609     1    1 S     ??    0:00.55 /usr/local/bin/X
-br -nolisten tcp :0 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-9mN8YK (
root        7633  3423  7632  3356    2 S+     5    0:00.06 grep X
# kill -9 7609

but it creates a new one ...
# ps -jawx | grep X
root        7640  1461  7640     1    1 S     ??    0:00.69 /usr/local/bin/X
-br -nolisten tcp :0 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-9mN8YK (

I killed the parent process /usr/local/bin/kdm-bin
now /var is back to normal in du -ks  (19%)

But still no reaction on Cltrl-Alt-F*  keystrokes.