Fwd: FreeBSD 8.2, sec.update -p3, switching between X and console prompt, /var full

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 3 13:36:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:15:26 +0200, n dhert wrote:
> I tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in the graphical login wndow, but as with other
> key Ctrl-Alt key combinations
> this does not do anything ...

It is "new behaviour" that certain default functionalities
of X need to be enabled manually. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is one
of them, and Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3/... _may_ be too.

If I remember correctly, /etc/X11/xorg.conf requires

	Section "ServerLayout"
		Option "DontZap" "false"
	EndSection
	Section "ServerFlags"
        	Option "DontVTSwitch" "false"
	EndSection

to re-enable the default behaviour. But check the Handbook
for detailed information.

> I there a commadn line way to restart X

You can kill the X process. Dirty stuff, but works. :-)

> I also tried fsck-ing the /var/ file system, but it chooses  NO WRITE
> nothing is repaired

You cannot run fsck on a mounted file system. You'll have
to unmount /var first, _then_ issue the fsck command. You
should do that in single user mode. Reason: If you have
unmounted /var, but some process wants to write to /var,
the empty mountpoint residing on / will be filled, therefore
/ will be filled which is _not_ intended.

> See the last UNREF FILE, it has the size of the huge /var/log/Xorg.0.log I
> already deleted from command line (and not anymore in
> an ls -la), but keeps fulling /var

Additionally to using rm, you can also use fsdb to "forcedly
delete files" under worst circumstances.

Removing files should be done after booting the system in
single user mode. This way you can make _sure_ nothing is
writing to those files. Before a removal attempt, you should
run fsck so the file system is in a valid condition.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany