bug in rc.conf

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Nov 29 18:33:11 UTC 2011

On 11/29/11 7:02 PM, FreeLine wrote:
> I think status must check service in any case and I must not to setup
> <service>_enable="YES" in rc.conf.
>
> Because of people want to check something:
>   -- Are that service running or not? (He do not know that service was
> runned by /usr/local/etc/rc.d/service start or onestart. He just want
> to check)
>
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/quagga status
> Cannot 'status' zebra. Set quagga_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use
> 'onestatus' instead of 'status'.
> Cannot 'status' bgpd. Set quagga_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use
> 'onestatus' instead of 'status'.

It occurs to me that the answer to your problem (checking whether a
service runs regardless of it being enabled in /etc/rc.conf) is in your
original post.

Use onestatus instead of status:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nginx onestatus

Also, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to claim you've found a bug in
software used by literally tens of thousands of people and which seems
to work fine for them.
Such claims need to be backed up by strong evidence ;)