too many open files

Howard Goldstein hg at queue.to
Tue Nov 29 01:36:11 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 19:07, Murray Taylor wrote:

> My  /etc/gamin/gaminrc contains this
>
> fsset ufs none
> fsset msdosfs none

(zfs and nfs too, if appropriate)

> and I still have 16564 files associated with gam_server in fstat out
> of 17424 open files reported by sysctl kern.openfiles
>
> It appears that gam_server doesn't play nice with kill -HUP ( there are
> 6 processes running)
> and also doesn't play nice with x-org/KDE as I can often
> get a program hang/crash as the kernel bitches about too many open files
> Kmail is particularly susceptible to this.
>
> What actually initiates it as there appears to be no related entry
> in either /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?
>
> Currently, it is a waste of space to me, and a cause of program
> instability!

pkg_info -R gamin\* should lead you to an ICBM coordinates suitable for
nuking and ridding yourself of the thing.  I had the opposite problem
where I have production box on a desktop that wants to keep monitoring
(we use nautilus) but gamin_server out of the box chews up a lot of
processor time (the fix for this was kernel notification for my ufs and zfs)