HDD formatted in FreeBSD/386 on Win XP

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Nov 26 20:55:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:56:22 +0100, Pavel Matoušek wrote:
> Exist some SW for Win SW for "reading" this FreeBSD formatted HDD ?

You should ask this question on a "Windows" related list. :-)

But during my "data recovery journey", I came across a program
that can be used to read UFS formatted disks, even though
it is a recovery program in the first place. It's called
"R-Studio" and runs on some kind of "Windows". Note that
this program is not for free. You can try a demo version
with limited capabilities, but you have to buy the full
product. In the trial version, you can at least see the
full content of the disk and decide if it's worth purchasing
the full product.

There's also "UFSExplorer", you have to buy this as well.
I remember that this has been recommended to read UFS
disks that are not defective (like mine was). :-)

As far as I know, "Windows" does not understand standard
file systems; it can only read its own ones. For everything
else, you'll need additional programs or "drivers". I'm
not sure if those are for free.

Maybe you can try "ufs2tools":
http://ufs2tools.sourceforge.net/

Also try some googling, maybe like this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=read+ufs+freebsd+windows+xp

Sorry for not being more specific, as I'm not a "Windows"
person. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany