"options atapicam" and/or "device ATA_CAM" in kernel config?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 23 11:43:40 UTC 2011

What is the role of "options atapicam" and "device ATA_CAM" in kernel config file?

Are they redundant?  Kernel will build with both these options, but will it make things go awry?  Is ATA_CAM deprecated?

I am trying to burn a CD (or DVD) on a SATA DVD-RW drive, but cdrtools don't work.

Also, how do I build and install a kernel to some name other than /boot/kernel, and not build all modules in duplicate?

I might want to try kernels with some differences in options, but with the same modules.

NetBSD and Linux make it easy to choose a non-default name for the kernel, so I can have multiple kernels and choose one at boot.

In Linux, beginning with kernels 2.6.*, cdrtools work without the ATA-SCSI dance.

Tom