Diagnosing packet loss

Kees Jan Koster kjkoster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:58:19 UTC 2011

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your reply. Your comment about dupe IP triggered something that I failed to mention: the interface is aliased. It has two IP addresses. IP address a and it has an alias IP address b. I just tested binding mtr to each of these interfaces separately to measure packet loss.

If I use mtr to measure packet loss from saffron (the stricken machine) to cumin (another machine in a different data center) I see the following:

  saffron (ip address a) -> cumin: packet loss
  saffron (ip address b) -> cumin: no packet loss

  cumin -> saffron (ip address a): packet loss
  cumin -> saffron (ip address b): no packet loss

This is consistent from running mtr for 5 minutes straight. This to me shows that the hardware is fine. Using the alias IP address I can run with no packet loss for as long as I like.

Hum.... Could it be that my switch does not support IP aliasing? Then why is there packet loss only on one IP and not on both?

This is getting weirder and weirder.

Kees Jan

--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/
kjkoster at kjkoster.org
+31651838192

I hate unit tests; I much prefer the illusion that there are no errors in my code.
                                                                 -- Hendrik Muller