AMD64 with 9.0 PRERELEASE freezing/hanging without any messages

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Nov 20 01:58:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:54:18 +0200 (EET)
jau at iki.fi (Jukka A. Ukkonen) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone else noticed a similar odd behavior with AMD64 and 9.0
> prerelease (as well as RCs and betas)?

Yes, I've seen a few of these myself, under both of the RCs and
PRERELEASE.  No idea what the cause is, though.  Impossible to track
down.

> On my 12 core (2*4162EE) the whole system just freezes quite often
> without any warning, without any messages being logged. Neither is
> there any panic message from the kernel. The system just suddenly
> hangs such that there is no alternative but to reboot using the
> reset button.

Yes, exactly the same here.  Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

> At the moment I don't have any further info about the cause of the
> problem, but quite often the freeze has happened when there has been
> some network activity.
> Does anyone have an idea how to start tracking down such a problem?
> I mean anything in addition to this...
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-options.html

Sorry, wish I had a clue as to how to pinpoint the cause of these
hangs.  There's no record anywhere of what may have gone wrong.

If you find out anything, please let us know.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net