Syslog server not logging remote machines to file?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 15:31:55 UTC 2011

On 11/19/2011 05:21 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> Kaya Saman<kayasaman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a really strange problem which seems to either be a bug with
>> the syslog server service or perhaps because I'm running jails on my
>> system.....
>>
>> I can log my router syslog information but somehow the syslog server
>> doesn't put the information into the designated file; which should be
>> /var/log/cisco857w.log???
>>
> The -usual- 'gotcha' for this situation is that you have to _create_ the
> file FIRST, and then tell syslogd to reload it's configuration.  (i.e.
> 'kill -HUP' the PID for syslogd)

That's ok, however due to me running syslogd in debug mode anyway - ctrl
+ c should do that anyway..... I performed a: ps aux | grep syslog with
no result other then my 'grepping' displayed.

Meaning that the syslog daemon should have reloaded right? - I mean it's
standard for everything else which works in that way!