Shouldn't GNU tar be ignoring /proc with --one-file-system?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Fri Nov 18 20:13:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>
>> See the output of 'mount(8)' for the names of all the mounted filesystems on
>> your machine.
>
> $ mount | grep proc
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
>

>> *NOTE*WELL* that '/proc' is *not* a separate filesystem.  It is merely a
>> _directory_ with a bunch of 'special' files in it.
>
> I'm confused here. In what way isn't /proc a separate filesystem? It's
> even called "procfs".

I just went to an 8.1 system as root and did:

    umount /proc

and /proc dismounted leaving an empty directory in route. I then went

    mount /proc

and /proc was mounted again, using the parameters in /etc/fstab. Surely
that means that going from / to /proc is "crossing a filesystem boundary".
To me that suggests it is a separate filesystem, and typically /proc is
filled with stuff that you wouldn't want to recurse through, so I wouldn't
think it a good candidate for special casing as non-mounted.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER