[OT] but concerns all of us

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Nov 17 19:44:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:56:06PM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:17:50 -0700
> Chad Perrin articulated:
>
> > Copyright infringement is copyright infringement -- and not theft --
> > no matter how hyperbolic your choice of phrasing.  Castigate people
> > for the unlawful act of copyright infringement if you want to, but
> > please do not conflate two separate bodies of law by equating one
> > illegal act with another.  This abuse of terms is largely the fault
> > of media conglomerates and their lobbying organizations (e.g. the
> > RIAA and MPAA).  The more you repeat these abuses of terminology, the
> > more they are emboldened; I think it was the RIAA representative at
> > the SOPA hearing yesterday who literally equated copyright
> > infringement with *murder*.
> >
> > Don't be like that jackass.
>
> Yes, you must be one of those scumbags that pilfers the property or
> intellectual rights of others sans payment or having acquired the
> legal rights to the property and then tries to hide behind some pseudo
> Divine-Right bullshit. You can fool yourself into believing that running
> someone over with a car and killing them is Vehicular manslaughter and
> not 1st degree murder; however, that does not change one iota the simple
> fact that the victim is dead.

That is an incorrect assumption.  You have betrayed your tendencies
toward argumentum ad hominem fallacy pretty clearly to this mailing list.
Good job.

. . . and now, slightly less directly than the jackass at the SOPA
hearing, you too have equated copyright infringement with murder.  I
expect you'll probably equate it with rape or slavery soon enough.

> You can try an justify your illegal actions all you want; criminal
> attorneys make a living out of doing it in court everyday of the week.
> It amazes me how scumbags constantly attempt to justify their illegal
> actions. The simple fact is that a thief is a thief no matter how you
> try and sugar coat it.

There are no illegal filesharing actions occuring here at all.  You are
obviously incapable of reasonable discourse.

> Now go back and play your pirated music, etcetera. I am sure you have
> all ready justified that practice to yourself.

Oh, of course -- "pirated", like the hundreds of CDs and audiocasettes
and DVDs I have, though I've stopped consuming new music in any form from
corporations that sue their own customers.  I'd say you were in left
field, but honestly, you're probably not even in the stadium.  You *are*
one of those jackasses, making accusations without any evidence that turn
out to be patently false.  I imagine your use of "theft" to refer to
copyright infringement is not, as I initially treated it in the interests
of keeping discussion civil, a mistake.  Rather, it must be an
intentional deception intended to smear people with whom you disagree so
you can avoid having to think your arguments through and actually
communicate with people.

You deserve no further consideration from me.  Enjoy the very small space
within your mind without my company, jackass.