Serial console with incorrect terminal set

James Edwards jedwards at bsdftw.org
Wed Nov 16 15:12:03 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I have two servers currently colocated, one running FreeBSD 8.2/amd64 ,
and the other is a Sun Netra T1 that I am attempting to install FreeBSD
8.2 on, over serial.

When the system booted up, I was presented with a list of console options
and I chose the first option, I believe to be ANSI (I have a knack for
never picking the right one).  The keyboard mapping was a bit screwed up,
but somehow I managed to get to the Fixit shell.  In order to test that I
had my secondary NIC setup correctly, I just ran 'ping 10.0.0.2' and now
it wont stop.

If I hit 'Ctrl+C', it keeps going.  I tried 'Ctrl+Z' in order to attempt
to suspend it so I can kill the process, but that brings up the 'Abort,
Restart, Continue' screen, but it gets interrupted by ping.  I tried
sending a break command using '~#', but I can't get to the OpenFirmware to
restart in attempt to pick the correct terminal settings.  IIRC, the break
is not supported without a kernel that supports it.

It could be easier to call my ISP and have someone power down the machine
for me, as the Netra has LOM.  In a worse case scenario, I can swing by
and do it myself after work.

My question is, is there another way to either 1) Stop ping or 2) Get to
the openfirmware console?

Thanks,
James