pkg_upgrade seems to try server that isn't right

Allen Unix.Hacker at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 21:04:58 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 2:13 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 09:33:41 +0100
> Mike Clarke<jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 09 October 2011, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>
>>> I assume you mean "pkg_upgrade" (not "upgrade_pkg")?
>>>
>>> See the "ENVIRONMENT" section of the man page.  All of the pkg_*
>>> tools are consistent in how they reference these variables.

Thanks. I'll look into this. It took me a while to reply I know, I've
been busy the last few weeks and haven't really had much time to do much
so, sorry about taking forever to reply. I appreciate any help given.

>> There isn't a pkg_upgrade in the base system and I'm not aware of one
>> in ports either but I'm open to correction. There is a python script,
>> pkgupgrade, developed by Michel Talon which might meet the OP's needs
>> <http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/>. Alternatively the OP could use
>> either portmaster or portupgrade from ports, both of these can be
>> forced to use packages instead of building from source by using the
>> -P or -PP options.
>>

> Whoops.  My mistake:
>
> $ pkg_which `which pkg_upgrade`
> bsdadminscripts-6.1.1_1

Yea, that's one of the things I've installed. I in general have a very
distinct way I install FreeBSD, and, really, ANY OS I use, which is
basically the Net Install CD.

I've been using Net Install for some time now because I like it, and I
first started doing this when I realized one day during a Debian
install, that I REALLY didn't feel like downloading 14 CDs, when in
reality, I only wanted a certain number of Packages, so, I looked
around, and saw that the Net Installer was not only a fairly small CD,
but ONE CD, and I could tell it what I wanted to do exactly.

Debian's fairly similar to FreeBSD in that respect; It has the Net
Installer Option, and, the APT system with apt-get install, is a lot
like FreeBSD's pkg_add -r option, and I like that a lot.

So basically, after I downloaded the ISO file for the Net Installer, I
booted from it, installed, and then, I loaded up a Terminal, and started
adding exactly what I wanted to install.

I installed some normal stuff, like Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, E-Term,
and a few others, and once I had all that going, I started just adding
what I actually wanted.

When I started downloading a new version of FreeBSD, I noticed that it
too had this option the entire time, and after feeling a little bit
stupid for not realizing it sooner, I started using it right away. I
haven't downloaded an entire set in some time.

Basically, I like very much how FreeBSD and Debian share a common ground
in this respect. I usually grab a CD for FreeBSD, then, once I've booted
from the CD, I tell it to use an FTP Server for installation, and I
install the Base system only.

This came from me wanting to install FreeBSD, and the Ports Collection,
and then, realizing that the FreeBSD Installer, does NOT have an option
to skip anything. I got stuck in an infinite loop while it tried, over
and over again, to install a certain couple of Ports that were required,
and I couldn't get it to skip that Port.

I'd Love it if FreeBSD started doing this, as it would be a lot easier.
I mean if you have a Dependency that doesn't want to install, or fails
to install period, it would be nice for it to ask you "Would you like to
skip this for now, and all required ports that depend on it?" But, it
doesn't.

So, for now, I just do a Net Install, get the Base System done, and once
I finish with that, I boot up, log in, and once I finish logging in, I
either use pkg_add -r, or, I load sysinstall, and then I select the
Ports / Packages I want to install, usually in a batch kind of style;
I'll select one section of them categories, and start selecting what I
want, then let it install.

Once that finishes up, I'll load up /etc/rc.conf and add Linux BASE and
all that, and then grab the Packages for that and a few other things. In
general I want to have a selection of text editors, and I use both VI,
Vim, and Emacs, and a few others, and then of course Window Maker and so
on, and once I finish up, I have my system exactly how I want it.

I've written multiple installation HOWTOs for FreeBSD, Linux, and dual
booting with FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows, and of course, one file I did
for AntiOnline, which was titled "FreeBSD for Linux users" which was
pretty popular actually; I wrote a HOWTO, and posted it, and it
wasbasically meant to sort of help explain how things work in FreeBSD
compared to Linux, like getting sound working, getting locate going, and
a bunch more, and asked anyone who'd like to, to add in their own data,
and it was actually pretty nice.

Sorry about rambling on, but I haven't been around for weeks heh.
Anyway, I will be checking into that, and I've saved all the mails sent
about this so I can go over them.

Thanks again very much,

-Allen