8.2-RELEASE-p4

Tom Carpenter tomc1 at charter.net
Fri Nov 11 14:44:30 UTC 2011

Environment
FreeBSD <FQDN hostname> 8.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Sep 27
18:07:27 UTC 2011 root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

Running "freebsd-update fetch" I get the following output:

=====
<hostname># freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.2-RELEASE from update5.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 8.2-RELEASE-p4.
=====

I'm new to FreeBSD and after looking through the FreeBSD website I
think I may have answered my question, but thought I would say that
the message "No updates needed to update system to 8.2-RELEASE-p4"
seems a little contradictory: if "8.2-RELEASE-p4" isn't relevant for
my FreeBSD installation why mention it.

As far as answering my question, i.e. 'how does one install 8.2-RELEASE-p4 on a
system running 8.2-RELEASE-p3', if I understand the relevant security advisory,

http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-11:05.unix.asc

it looks like "8.2-RELEASE-p4" is an update for source, consequently, I'm
getting the output that I am from freebsd-update because I don't have any source
installed on my system.

Also, after running "freebsd-update install", if I run sysinstall and
attempt to install packages by selecting "Configure | Packages | Main Site",
I get the following output

=====

           User Confirmation Requested

Warning:  Can't find the `8.2-RELEASE-p3' distribution on this
FTP server.  You may need to visit a different server for
the release you are trying to fetch or go to the Options
menu and to set the release name to explicitly match what's
available on ftp.freebsd.org (or set to "any").

Would you like to select another FTP server?

=====

That message will go away if I edit `8.2-RELEASE-p3' to read
`8.2-RELEASE' but I'm not sure if that's the appropriate
solution...would I get the current versions of packages if I
did that?

-Tom Carpenter