"Unprintable" 8-bit characters

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Nov 9 03:35:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:24:18 -0600
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> Even more confusing, selecting the character and copying it to the
> clipboard, the UTF-16 representation (0xfc) is what actually gets
> used.  Pasting this single-byte version into an X terminal (any of
> them: xterm, gnome-terminal, etc.) does display the correct character,
> an umlauted "u", even if using an 8-bit locale, such as UTF-8.
> Majorly confusing!

Just realized on reading this how weird it sounds.  What I was getting
at here was that the (single-byte) UTF-16 code displays the correct
character in a UTF-8 locale, even though the UTF-8 code for the
character is supposedly a 2-byte sequence.

Anyway, enough about that.  I've managed to get the results I was
hoping for now, so I'm satisfied.  :-)

Thanks again for all the responses.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier