OH NO! IT says my root partition / is full but it isn't! Why is FreeBSD lying about space?

rtsit rtsit at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 17:30:52 UTC 2011

We FOUND IT.

We did do the procedure that Michael recommended, but unfortunately none of the nfs mount labels /var /usr /tmp contained any data after booting into single user mode.

What we did find was a NFS folder that contained a huge 300 meg .tar.gz file that wasn't finished downloading. (Was a BSDSRC tree that was tar'd gz'd)

Have to watch for massive NFS file transfers of abnormally large files -- that is what caused the issue.  Next time we'll use WGET instead while sitting at the /usr partition instead of the root folder.