Burning CD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Nov 7 21:47:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:59:23 -0800 (PST), C Horman wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in trying FreeBSD version 8.2 for an older
> computer that I have. Pentium 4, with 400MB of RAM and 2G
> harddrive.

Should run fine there - I had a similar system obsoleted
in summer this year. :-)

> There is no other operating system on the computer.  When
> I put the CD in to boot I get the message Non System disk -
> disk error.

Look at your BIOS settings to make sure a boot attempt
from CD will be done. Check related options in the CMOS
setup program.

> I have looked at the files on the CD and I see boot files
> and loader files, so it looks like the files are available
> to use?  I used a free program for Windows XP to burn the
> ISO image to CD.

The ISO file is a "pre-mastered" image that will boot,
if recorded properly.

> Could the way the ISO image was burned onto the CD cause
> the disk error problem?

If the writer did something wrong, or the media is damaged,
this is possible. Some burner programs allow you to re-read
the CD after burning for comparison with the ISO file. You
could try that in order to make sure you're recorded the CD
properly.

> Do you have any free software suggestions for burning a CD
> in Windows XP if this is the issue?

Sorry, I'm not a "Windows" person and I don't use 10 years
old software, so I can't give you any suggestion here. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany