multimedia/vlc: suddenly no graphical interface

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 7 10:05:54 UTC 2011

On all of my used FreeBSD 9.0-RCX and FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT boxes (all
amd64 and CLANG compiled), I do not have a graphical user interface in
VLC anymore. Instead, calling vlc most recent 1.1.11), I get this error:

VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x8020521b0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80205ad70] main interface error: option qt-volume-complete does not exist
[0x80205ad70] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found
(hint: compile the qt4 plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[0x80205ad70] skins2 interface error: cannot instanciate qt4 dialogs
provider
[0x8020521b0] main libvlc error: interface "default" initialization failed

Recompiling the multimedia/vlc port did not help, also unsuccessful was
the recompilation of any qt4-port installed on the system. I also tried
to find the local configuration files in my home directory and delete
them, without any success.

Is there something wrong with the DBUS subsystem named in the error?

Help appreciated,
thanks.

Regards,
Oliver