Get list of ethernet devices

Michael Ross michael.ross at gmx.net
Mon Nov 7 00:46:18 UTC 2011

Moin,

I'm setting up a system on an external USB drive,
serving as fallback in case of a server failure:

Customer takes USB drive, plugs it into any of his PCs and boots of it.

Now I am looking for a good method to configure the network:

I could just start dhclient on any NIC which could possibly be there,
thus cramming rc.conf with
	ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
	ifconfig_em1="DHCP"
	ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
and so on.

Or I could grep ifconfig or dmesg output for ethernet interfaces and
dhclient these.

Both sound like a very messy solution.

So I would step beyond my current area of expertise, grep some source from
sysinstall, bsdinstall or somewhere and do it in C.
But I'm kind of hoping anybody can point me to a readymade solution yet
unknown to me.

Regards,

Michael