ntpdate on boot problem

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Nov 5 23:52:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, doug at safeport.com wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, Robert Simmons wrote:
>>
>>> I've had this problem with machines using DHCP and the solution was to
>>> use SYNCDHCP rather than DHCP in rc.conf.  However, this box is using
>>> a static IP address.  But the problem seems to be similar.
>>
>> Yes, it is.  FreeBSD 8-STABLE and 9 have /etc/rc.d/netwait just for this.
>
> I do not see this in the handbook. Did I just miss it?. IMO the necessary
> synchronization should just be built in to booting.

AFAIK it's not in the Handbook yet.  The problem is that some network
interfaces actually take a while to come up after ifconfig is done
setting them up.  The amount of time taken could depend on the local
network with autonegotiation and such.

Another approach is to set up the DHCP server--if there is one--to
assign static addresses based on MAC address.