trouble setting timezone for ukraine

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Nov 4 19:44:00 UTC 2011

Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk at gmail.com> writes:

> i'm based in ukraine. on 29 Oct 2011 ukraine went to winter time,
> i.e. we put our clocks one hour back.
>
> the current time in ukraine is 8.49 pm; the output of 'date' is:
>
> :; date
> Fri Nov  4 22:49:48 FET 2011
>
> i tried resetting my timezone via 'sysinstall', but to no avail.
>
> do i use 'date' to set my system time to the right time, or is there a
> better way of doing it?
>
> :; uname -a
> FreeBSD localhost 9.0-RC1 FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 #0: Tue Oct 18 18:30:38 UTC
> 2011     root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

I think that your government changed its mind about staying on standard
time this year, but only did so at the last minute.  So you probably have
an outdated timezone file.  That would lead the computer to be one hour
late rather than two, but it's probably a change you need to make.  Also
check the system's time in UTC to see whether the clock itself is off.