Is it safe to interrupt (Ctrl + C) while building a port or kernel?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Thu Nov 3 22:12:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 22:48:26 +0400
Антон Клесс <rc5hack at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 03.11.2011, 21:20, "Robert Bonomi" <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>:
>
> >>   If it's so, do I need to run "make clean" before I start "make"
> >> one more time?
> >  Authoritative answer:  "It depends".
> >
> >  On what you 'did wrong", and what it takes to fix it.
> >
> >  e.g.,  if you're building a kernel the 'classial' way, that is
> > 'configure, make depend, cd , make',  and realize you left
> > something out of the config file, after you edit the config file,
> > you have to rerun _all_ those steps.
>
> Does it matter, if I always use "make buildkernel make installkernel"
> way to rebuild kernels?
>
> >  make buildkernel
>
> ..
> oh! something wrong!
> <Ctrl> + <C>
> ..
> mistake fixed!
>
> >  make buildkernel
> >  make installkernel
>
> - is right?

That's fine, yes.  But I wouldn't do an unconditional installkernel
after buildkernel (suppose buildkernel failed in some way)?

Either include both targets in the same make command:

make buildkernel installkernel

Or make the second conditional on the outcome of the first:

make buildkernel && make installkernel

You might also save yourself some time by using "-DNO_CLEAN" after
changing your kernel config.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net