freebsd-update (custom kernel)

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Thu Nov 3 16:26:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:19:29AM -0700, Michael Sierchio thus spake:
>On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Jason Helfman <jhelfman at e-e.com> wrote:
>
>> I does work fine with a custom kernel, as long as you are running and
>> maintaining the actual update server that distributes.
>
>I don't think that's relevant.  It works fine with the public servers.

I beg to differ. If you run a kernel called CUSTOM, it won't work. And if
you run a custom kernel called GENERIC, the moment you upgrade, you custom
kernel is no longer custom.

All of this aside, I would be interested in hearing how you are able to
avoid non-custom updates to your custom kernel when the kernel or os patches
are distributed by the update servers.

--
Jason Helfman
System Administrator