CARP related trivial question

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Wed Nov 2 15:44:58 UTC 2011

On 11/1/11 8:19 AM, Snoop wrote:
> Sorry but I have to re-post my question as I didn't get any exhaustive reply. I can't believe that nobody is aware of this anyhow.
> P.S. Nop, there aren't related loadable modules in /boot/kernel.
> ____________
>
> Hi everybody,
> I've got a pretty trivial question but I'm kind of disoriented.
>
> In the CARP man pages is clearly stated
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/carp.html:
> "To enable support for CARP, the FreeBSD kernel must be rebuilt as
> described in Chapter 9 with the following option:
> device carp
>
> Alternatively, the if_carp.ko module can be loaded at boot time. Add the
> following line to the /boot/loader.conf:
> if_carp_load="YES" "
>
> I'm not new to FreeBSD but I didn't manage to load that as a module, not
> while the OS is running neither at the startup adding the param on
> loader.conf.
> I'd love to do that instead of recompiling the kernel to get that
> working on any node.
> I'm talking about FreeBSD 8.1.
>
> Am I missing something?
> Any tip would be appreciated.

You have already receive a reply on-list, which asked if you had
/boot/kernel/if_carp* files .
I haven't followed further so I'm not sure if you ever replied to it or not.

Find below the same output from a 8.2-STABLE box:

mybsd root  /boot/kernel

                                                                 # uname -a
FreeBSD mybsd 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #4: Wed Oct 12 16:58:51 CEST
2011     root at mybsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DAM  amd64

                                                                 mybsd
root  /boot/kernel

                                                           # ls -la
/boot/kernel/if_carp*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   44384 Oct 12 17:11 /boot/kernel/if_carp.ko
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  197856 Oct 12 17:11
/boot/kernel/if_carp.ko.symbols