Funny thing with portsclean

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue May 31 01:16:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:15:53 -0300
Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:

> On Monday 30 May 2011 01:20:42 Robert Simmons wrote:
> > Sorry, I didn't mention why.  You need use -DD if you don't want
> > that to happen, and you want it to follow installed packages as
> > well. _______________________________________________

> Ahhhh !! It was my bad then.

Your mistake was assuming it was to do with the distfiles used to
build installed packages, but the above comment is wrong

-D deletes any distfile that doesn't have a hash value recorded
anywhere in your complete ports tree. i.e. it only deletes files that
have no use.

-DD   deletes any distfile that doesn't have a hash value recorded for
the installed ports i.e. it additionally deletes distfiles that
correspond to deleted packages, even though such files are still
potentially useful if you need to reinstall.