Out of Range ..., troubleshoot xorg

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 21:19:01 UTC 2011

Dear folks,

I have a machine that was working fine with a flat panel monitor at
work.  I brought the machine home to connect to a TV with PC input and
I get Out of Range message.  X does not start.  This same machine has
autologin setup so after I start it up and X fails to load, I switch
terminals with CTRL + ALT + FX where X is 1, 2, ... to see if I can
run
# Xorg -configure
and adjust so I can use the TV as a monitor, but it says that X is
already running and I have to rm /tmp/X0-lock or similar file.  I do
that but I can't get to run Xorg -configure

I pop in a linux live CD and I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and I see this line

[   117.620] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1366x768"x59.8   84.75  1366
1432 1568 1776  768 770 780 798 -hsync +vsync (47.7 kHz)

I know FreeBSD still has nv and no nouveau(unless I compile from
ports), is there a magical incantanation on how to troubleshoot this
so I can use FreeBSD at home with this machine?  Or do I switch to
another monitor and be happy with it?

Thanks,

Antonio