RAM needed for DHCP + router?

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Fri May 27 00:17:44 UTC 2011

Hello list,

I'm looking to build a NAT / DHCP box for a lab network for my company. My
question is, how do I estimate the amount of RAM the machine will need?

This box will be running isc-dhcpd, doing NAT either via natd or pf, and
not much else. I expect the amount of traffic (throughput) to be very
small, but the address space involved is quite large, at least by my
standards. It seems to me that this will require potentially large amounts
of memory for routing tables, etc., but not much disk.

I'll be installing the latest -RELEASE; 32-bit if I can, 64-bit if I must,
depending on how much memory it looks like I'll need. I may also install
webmin for the benefit of my computer-literate-but-not-unix-savvy
coworkers.

Thanks!

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]