SATA Host Adapter Recommendation

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Sun May 22 13:23:46 UTC 2011

--As of May 21, 2011 7:26:22 PM -0700, Jason C. Wells is alleged to have
said:

> I am looking to get 2 sata host adapters.  The mandatory requirements are
> good freebsd support and hot swap capability.  I plan to use gmirror. I
> have discovered that my onboard chipsets don't support hot swap.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

While I will be reading this thread with interest, as I'm looking to buy a
SATA adaptor sometime in the moderate future, I do have one other thought:
Before you assume your onboard chipsets don't support hot swap, check your
BIOS settings.  Many boards still ship with their BIOS set to run
everything in 'legacy' mode, which doesn't support hot swap.  Make sure
there isn't a switch for a AHCI mode that needs to be flipped.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.