Not able to install firefox 4 from 8.2 stable packages

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 08:45:24 UTC 2011

Xn Nooby,

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Xn Nooby <xnooby at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a struggling nooby.  I am trying to install firefox 4 on a fresh
> 8.2 installation. I want to the core system to track the "errata"
> branch, and get binary packages from 8-stable (which has firefox 4).
>

> I installed FreeBSD 8.2 release.
>
> # freebsd-update fetch install
>
> rebooted
>
> # portsnap fetch extract
>
> use BASH shell
>
> # export PACKAGESITE="ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/Latest/"
>
> installed x11 and icewm
>
> # pkg_add -r firefox
>
> get perl conflict between 5.10 and 5.12
>
> # pkg_add -fr firefox
>
> firefox installs but I get "firefox3" instead of firefox 4.0
>
> # pkg_info| grep firefox
>
> shows "firefox-3.6.13,1"
>
> trying to use source
>
> # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
> # make install clean
>
> get errors about firefox 4.0.1 needing nspr>=4.8.7
>
> # pkg_add -r nspr
>
> says nspr-4.8.6 or older is already installed

Try deleting firefox
# pkg_del firefox
if this fails, then cd to /usr/ports/www/firefox
# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox/
# make deinstall
and from here try
# make install clean
 or

Then

# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
# make install clean

I had a similar problem when I was upgrading to 8.2, but I worked it
out with ports.  I advise you to do the same.  If you encounter a
problem post it.  Many folks on the list are very kind and
knowledgeable and can advise a strategy to fix your problem.

Regards,

Antonio