SATA Host Adapter Recommendation

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Sun May 22 03:35:38 UTC 2011

I have a Highpoint 4-port PCI-E 4x card in a server that has worked well
for a few years.  It's a bit pricey, but I've had no problems with it.

Recently, I've gotten 3 Rosewill RC-218 cards because they're much
cheaper and I don't need the RAID functionality on other cards.  I'm
building servers with them now, but FreeBSD recognizes the disks
attached to them fine (so long as your on >= 8.2 and you add
hw.hptrr.attach_generic=0 in /boot/loader.conf).  I haven't tried
hot-swapping any drives yet, but I'm assuming since it's SATA it should
work fine.  I should probably verify that soon.

Rob