Tell a minimum requirement for RAM for virtual machines (virtualbox)

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:57:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Vladislav V. Prodan <universite at ukr.net>wrote:

> Tell choice OS (8.2, 8.2-CURRENT or 9.0-CURRENT, FS (UFS or ZFS) and the
> minimum amount of RAM for use in such schemes:
> 1) the interaction of multiple routers with established quagga (bgpv4,
> bgpv6, ospf)
> 2) the work of two different modes of MYSQL replication servers/clusters.
> 3) backup zfs partitions/snapshots to a remote server
>

> Host machine - win7 64x with 6 GB of RAM
>
> Thank you for your advice.

Couple things to think about.  Virtualbox by default doesn't obey flush
cache commands.  This is potentially a very bad thing so you'll want to look
a changing the default for any ZFS VM, and probably any VM doing DB
operations unless speed is more of a priority than data integrity.

The other thing to keep in mind is i386 binaries use less RAM than their
amd64 counter parts.  For this reason, I always make my VM's 32 bit to
achieve higher VM density.  I have not had trouble with ZFS on i385 with
1GB+ of RAM when following the recommended tuning, but I haven't used a
heavily used them either.

I prefer to use the MFSBSD ZFS v28 i386 iso for the install.

--
Adam Vande More