A possibly odd upgrade question

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 20 16:00:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 11:36:37 -0400, Chris Brennan <xaero at xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> I will modify my kernel config to reflect that change and I was going to
> make a backup ... I'm using the same config from 7.x, only slightly modified
> to reflect this machine, that said, how do I clobber the current kernel and
> not back it up when I install the new one?

I think / should have enough space for installing a new
kernel without debugging symbols, I assume it will require
50 MB max, and if we assume that the current GENERIC
kernel will be kept as a backup, you should be fine.

Coming back to your initial partitioning data,

Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    496M    328M    128M    72%    /

indicates that you have 128 MB free, so it should work.
In case "make installkernel" will fail due to capacity
reasons, you can easily switch back to the backup kernel,
and maybe you find some stuff you can safely delete from
the / partition (e. g. check /root).

Also, read /usr/src/Makefile's comment header about the
recommended procedure for updating the system.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany