Over-whelmed by ports and package tools

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Fri May 20 14:59:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Xn Nooby <xnooby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried PC-BSD, and look forward to version 9.0.  I really don't
> like KDE, though.  I hear some rumblings about a Gnome developer
> wanting to drop BSD support, so maybe I better start liking KDE.
> PC-BSD seems to have done a great job reproducing the way Mac's
> install software, by using self-contained bundles (PBI's). And next
> version of PBI is supposed to not need a GUI. I'm sure I will be
> trying the next version PC-BSD. Hopefully to be released soon.

That Red-Hat developer has been preaching to the choir for a long time from
my understanding. I think he wants to turn Gnome Desktop Environment into a
Desktop of it's own, making the Linux underbelly disappear much like
Microsoft made DOS disappear from their lineup, making Windows the primary
focus. if Gnome goes the way of Windows .... there is a plethora of other
choices to choose for a WM ... openbox/blackbox/fluxbox, XFCE, yes KDE is an
option, it takes some getting used to but it can still be used.

As a side note, I wonder what kind of impact that kind of decision making
will have on the Android platform ... my phone says it's running X/Gnome for
the UI.