A possibly odd upgrade question

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Fri May 20 01:58:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

Yes, the recommended order. :-)

> First, update your ports/ and src/ trees (e. g. using portsnap
> and csup), then compile and install. You don't need any tools
> provided by ports for this task. After you've started your
> "new" system, install the additional software you need.
>
> Mentioning the shell was good: In case you remove bash from
> the system, it may cause trouble when a shell is requested
> for a user that is not there (the shell), as bash is not part
> of the base system. Still it seems that you'll do most of
> the work mentioned in the above paragraph as root, you will
> use root's default shell (which is csh) anyway.

One last question ... hopefully lol. am I going to run into any issues w/
the default fbsd6 layout?

[root at Ziggy [~]# df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    496M    328M    128M    72%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e    496M    234K    456M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f     33G    5.7G     25G    19%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d    1.3G    1.0G    226M    82%    /var
/dev/ad1s1d     54G    8.9G     41G    18%    /usr/home
/dev/ad6s1      74G     61G     13G    82%    /mnt/music
linprocfs      4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
[root at Ziggy [~]#

What I think I failed to previously mention is that this machine started out
with fbsd6.x, was upgraded many times from 6x though 7.1 where it fell into
disuse. With my recent repurpose of this box ... I'm concerned that it might
be a moot point if base won't fit on rot root slice.