A possibly odd upgrade question

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Thu May 19 20:30:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

Yes, from the man pages it states it will rebuild all packages and their
> dependencies. I simply include the "l" so he would have a log file
> available if something did go wrong.
>
> In any case, I thought it might save him some trouble rebuilding his
> system. There are some ports; however, that will not build correctly
> unless the program is first removed from the system. Obviously not a
> friendly concept; however, a reality. The OP would have to remove them
> first I suppose before doing a force rebuild. Maybe just doing a
> "pkg_delete -adv" would be a better idea.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this e-mail, been busy w/ a bunch of
stuff lately, but this box is still on my todo list.

portupgrade/portmaster don't comeplete due to some bazaar issues that I no
longer wish to try and fix. A recent development that I've discovered is
that I can no longer compile anything, even as a user, it all just fails and
it's one colossal headache I no longer want.

If I go the way of pkg_delete -fravd, will it save configs in
/usr/local/etc/ ? I just need to know if I need to take the extra step to
archive that directory beforehand or not.... I'm just looking at
possibilities of saving myself any other potential conf file
reconfigurations in the future ... like I know I will need to reinstall
samba and I would hate to loose that config and have to rewrite it...