FreeBSD compatible mini-itx board

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed May 18 08:05:49 UTC 2011

Hi:

I am looking for a new low power mini-itx board for my firewall/home
server. I've had VIA boards but flacky disk controller and other
problems have made me look for something else.

So, going all Intel, I hope there will be no hardware problems. I'm
looking at The Intel D945GSEJT with an Atom N270 processor and the
following specs:

Mobile Intel 945GSE Express Chipset
Intel 82945GSE Express Chipset Graphics/Memory Controller Hub
Intel 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7-M)
Intel GMA950
RealTek 8111DL Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Does FBSD support this?

I don't care about graphics basic VGA is enough as this will be a
headless server. But I do care that the disk controller is fully
supported as well as the NIC.

Any suggestions of alternative boards? AFAIK the N270 is single core
32bit, a dual core and/or 64bit alternative would be interesting.

Also: The Intel manual mentions: "Support for DDR2 533 MHz SO-DIMMs
(DDR2 800 MHz and DDR2 667 MHz validated to run at 533 MHz only)"

Will faster RAM result in a less stable system?

And what is Serial Presence Detect RAM? I've never seen this advertised.

Lots of questions, I know...

Thanks, Erik