CD Boot to install hangs

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 16 08:04:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:28:18 -0700, Alexander Lardner <linuxtux37 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am re-asking as it's rather urgent.
> I have burned a CD of PowerPC 8.2 to install on my old iMac G3.
> It boots, but it stops at the line that reads:
>
> acd0: DVDROM <MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8184/AA32> at ata0-slave UDMA33
>
> What the heck does that mean, and why does it get stuck?

This line is the kernel message identifying the optical
drive of your iMac, which is connected to the 1st ATA
controller as slave drive (and I assume the master drive
will be the hard disk, watch for "ad0" message).

> More importantly, how do I fix it?

I'm not sure, I sadly don't own iHardware. Maybe check
cables of optical drive?

At least the kernel boots - that's good for the beginning. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany