No keyboard after ports update, 2x moused_enable="YES" culprit

Rob Clark rpclark at ymail.com
Sun May 15 04:06:15 UTC 2011

System Info: 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Tue Aug 10 11:43:36 EDT 2010,
 and xorg-server-1.7.7_1,1 X.Org X server and related programs

Not having updated my ports in nearly 1 year, I did a sledgehammer approach with
portmaster as follows:

portmaster -D -R -f -m BATCH=yes -a

This took a few rounds.
I did this as I started having all sorts of issues after running down various port problems
when going through a rather long /usr/ports/UPDATING.
Maybe not the best method, but I think everything is finally done.

After restarting X, prior to any reboot, I lost the mouse in X.
So I figured a reboot was in order.

Issue:
After a reboot I found I had no keyboard -- not even in console mode.
Trying the obvious first, I unplugged the keyboard and plugged it
back in the ps2 port, and keyboard worked immediately -- this was repeatable.
Reboot, same thing, no keyboard.

Some digging around revealed that I had the following line in /etc/rc.conf twice:
moused_enable="YES"

I removed one of these (which I guess was the culprit) and left one as it should have been, then all was well.  Keyboard found at reboot, no further issues -- mouse was available in X too.

I have no idea why I had  moused_enable="YES"  in there twice, whether it was from an old or recent rc.conf edit, but it clearly seems to have been causing the issue.

Other (maybe valuable) info:
I am running hald in /etc/rc.conf as follows:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
...and these were there prior to the ports update.

I figured this "issue" may be of some value since I did not do any src updates.

I'll be glad to try to help or test this further, but keep in mind I'm not a coder.

Thanks,
Rob