start X in background without it taking over the console?

Chris Telting christopher-ml at telting.org
Thu May 12 13:38:33 UTC 2011

On 05/11/2011 04:07, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
> On 05/11/2011 05:36 AM, Chris Telting wrote:
>> I already do... I'm want to automate it.  Every other virtual screen
>> terminal can start without grabbing the console, I don't want X to
>> either.  I do development and I suffer crashes.  I want to do work while
>> it boots up for a couple minutes and I'm tired of manually switching
>> back to text mode.  It's gets annoying the 200th time.
> You could script it right after X starts, as such:
>
> vidcontrol -s 1 # Equivalent to Alt-F1
>
> I don't think X is currently designed to start without initializing the
> graphics hardware, though, so the initial vt change is probably
> unavoidable. Perhaps once KMS trickles down

Thank you for answering.  I was fearful of that.  Just means another
project.

Related to Kernel Memory Switching I mention of Coreboot on slashdot the
other day and I have to say I'm excited by it more than when it was
called LinuxBIOS, my understanding now being that it isn't a full Linux
kernel buy may eventually become a striped down version of it. I'm
hoping that it evolves into a basic real time kernel of it's own and
initializing drivers.  Hopefully the place where all soft firmware for
devices eventually gets loaded rather than in OS drivers; ironically
working with the GPL by downloading it's own initializing drivers
directly.  Be nice to have half second boot times.