(8.2) amd64 + linuxulator + nvidia driver is it stable ?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Tue May 10 16:55:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 10:31:53 -0500, Patrick Lamaiziere
<patfbsd at davenulle.org> wrote:

> I've got a new box running 8.2-stable with amd64 + linuxulator + nvidia
> driver. Quite often when watching video on youtube the box freeze (no
> panic).

I've previously reported this to freebsd-emul and probably freebsd-stable,
but nobody has been able to consistently create the issue so far. At one
point it was happening often enough and I was getting so tired of fscking
I moved my drive to mostly ZFS so I could boot up in a reasonable amount
of time.

Anyway, my observations are:

- It happens on 8.2 (not bothered trying -stable)
- It happens on various nvidia driver versions
- I can't prove it's truly linuxulator related
- When trying to catch a "panic" by telling it to run a video on the X
server and watching the console on vt1, it doesn't crash. It's weird -- it
just *doesn't* crash if I'm not staring at the vt that runs the X server.
Weird.

Regards,

Mark