Kernel errors after upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Mon May 9 16:52:19 UTC 2011

> mx3# mergemaster -p
>
> *** Creating the temporary root environment in /var/tmp/temproot
>  *** /var/tmp/temproot ready for use
>  *** Creating and populating directory structure in
> /var/tmp/temproot
>
> cp: /usr/src/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
>
>   *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot copy files to the temproot environment
>
> So, I just need to get all the source and then rebuild as you
> mentioned?
>
> --Robert

Yes, grab the whole source tree - kernel upgrades by just compiling
the kernel itself are usually okay, if done within same release, when
upgrading, the userland needs to be built with the new kernel.

The correct process for upgrading from source is described in:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

-Reko